The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
The Student Learning Advisory Service (SLAS) is a free, friendly advice service providing guidance and information on all aspects of effective learning and study skills to all students from the minute they arrive at the University until they finish their studies.
SLAS is is a popular resource for undergraduates, postgraduates, full-time, part-time, mature European and international students, offering confidential advice and study guidance. We also run workshops and programmes aimes at specific groups, such as part-time or mature students and operate an Academic Peer Mentoring scheme which enablesStage 2 or Stage 3 students to support and help Foundation or Stage 1 students improve their learning and thus effectively improve their performance and retention.
The Student Learning Advisory Service provide advice and guidance across all aspects of university study. This includes:
- Many students appreciate the opportunity to talk individually about their learning development. We offer a free, one to one and confidential academic advice and guidance service to all students
- If you struggle to understand the basics of mathematics and statistics, or feel you need additional support in understanding more advanced principles we can provide comprehensive advice and guidance
- The Student Learning Advisory Service hosts the Royal Literary Fellow from the The Royal Literary Fund (RLF ) which is a national scheme to help develop and support students' academic writing at universities
SLAS offers a range of programmes aimed at helping students to achieve their potential while at university. These include:
- A practical programme of workshops for all University of Kent students including IT training, study skills and information about further sources of advice.
- In collaboration with Information Services and the Templeman Library, we provide workshops on topics such as essay writing, referencing and more.
- VALUE MaP is a free programme of study skills development for Mature and Part-time students
We have a variety of different resources to help you in your studies; there are resource banks on campus as well as online resources and study guides. These include: