The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Newspapers and news sources
We subscribe to a large number of newspapers, both international and from the UK. They are available in a number of formats, including print and online. Visit the newspaper resources pages for full information and access to online holdings.
Nexis provides access to the main UK daily newspapers, including their Sunday editions, as well as international newspapers.
Historical and local newspapers and newsreels
- Chicago Tribune (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): online source of historical local and regional news in Chicago, USA between 1849 - 1990
- 19th century newspapers from the British Library: the full text of many local, regional and national 19th century British newspapers. See the British Library pages for more information and a list of the titles.
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection Newspapers (part of the British Newspapers 1600-1900 collection)
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-2006 (issues after 1985 are also available from Nexis (see above))
- Sunday Times Digital Archive 1822-2006 (from Gale): searchable, full text access to The Sunday Times (1822-2006)
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive (1902-2007): comprehensive coverage of the latest and most important publications, in every subject, in several languages as well as reviewing current, theatre, cinema, music and exhibitions
- Guardian & Observer Archive: searchable, full text access to The Guardian (1821-2003) and The Observer (1791-2003)
- Gale Newsvault: allows you to cross-search the following historical newspaper archives:
- 17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers
- 19th Century UK Periodicals: New Readerships
- Illustrated London News
- Times Digital Archive
- Sunday Times Digital Archive
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive
- Financial Times Historical Archive 1888-2008: complete facsimile run of the FT until 2008; fully searchable and browsable
- Economist Historical Archive 1843-2006: complete searchable copy of every issue from 1843 to 2006; includes full-colour images, multiple search indexes, and exportable financial tables
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers (from Gale): primary source newspaper content from the 19th century featuring full-text content and images from numerous newspapers from a range of urban and rural regions throughout the U.S., covering topics like the American Civil War, African-American culture and history, Western migration and Antebellum-era life
- Illustrated London News: historical pictorial weekly newspaper archive covering the period 1842 to 2003
- NewsFilm Online: television news and cinema newsreels from the ITN/Reuters archive 1910-2007 (click on 'Login: Direct Access' to enter database)
- Pathé News Archive
- British Universities Newsreel Project
- Newsplan London and the South East: information about, and locations for, local newspapers
- The New York Times (1851-2009) with Index (1851-1993) (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): access to over 150 years of American news, world news, and personal stories from the newspaper known for providing "all the news that's fit fo print"
- Times of India (1838-2003) (from ProQuest Historic Newspapers): the world's most widely circulated English daily newspaper, founded in 1838 to serve British residents of West India. Invaluable resource for researchers studying colonialism and post-colonialism, British and world history, class and gender issues, international relations, comparative religion, international economics, terrorism, and more
- UK Press Online: access to the Daily Mirror 1903 onwards