The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Newspapers and news sources
We subscribe to a large number of newspapers, both international and from the UK. They are available in a number of formats, including print and online. Visit the newspaper resources pages for full information and access to online holdings.
Nexis provides access to the main UK daily newspapers, including their Sunday editions, as well as international newspapers.
Historical and local newspapers and newsreels
- 19th century newspapers from the British Library: the full text of many local, regional and national 19th century British newspapers. See the British Library pages for more information and a list of the titles.
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection Newspapers (part of the British Newspapers 1600-1900 collection)
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-2006 (issues after 1985 are also available from Nexis (see above)).
- Financial Times Historical Archive 1888-2008: complete facsimile run of the FT until 2008; fully searchable and browsable
- Economist Historical Archive 1843-2006: complete searchable copy of every issue from 1843 to 2006; includes full-colour images, multiple search indexes, and exportable financial tables
- Illustrated London News: historical pictorial weekly newspaper archive covering the period 1842 to 2003
- NewsFilm Online: television news and cinema newsreels from the ITN/Reuters archive 1910-2007 (click on 'Login: Direct Access' to enter database)
- Pathé News Archive
- British Universities Newsreel Project
- Newsplan London and the South East: information about, and locations for, local newspapers
- UK Press Online: access to the Daily Mirror 1903 onwards