The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Nexis is a major online resource which provides access to the UK and US national and local papers as well as newspapers from virtually every country around the world.
We subscribe to a large number of newspapers, both international and from the UK. They are available in a number of formats, including print and online. Visit the newspaper resources pages for full information and access to online holdings.
Our UK newspapers comprise current issues and archives of historical newspapers, including the Times Digital Archive, and other news sources. Go to the UK newspapers page for access. American newspapers are included in the list of international newspapers.
Some key resources:
- The New York Times (1851-2009) with Index (1851-1993) (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): access to over 150 years of American news, world news, and personal stories from the newspaper known for providing "all the news that's fit fo print"
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers - available via Gale Newsvault
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection Newspapers (part of the British Newspapers 1600-1900 collection)
- 19th century newspapers from the British Library: the full text of many local, regional and national 19th century British newspapers. See the British Library pages for more information and a list of the titles.
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-1985 (issues from 1985 onwards are available via the Nexis service - see above)
- Times of India (1838-2003) (from ProQuest Historic Newspapers): the world's most widely circulated English daily newspaper, founded in 1838 to serve British residents of West India. Invaluable resource for researchers studying colonialism and post-colonialism, British and world history, class and gender issues, international relations, comparative religion, international economics, terrorism, and more
- Illustrated London News: historical pictorial weekly newspaper archive covering the period 1842 to 2003