The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
We recommend: Artemis Primary Sources (from Gale):
- allows you to search 14 primary source databases from Gale Cengage with a single search box, including historical, newspaper, and periodicals archives
- includes interesting tools like "term frequency" (see the frequency of your search term over time) and "term clusters" (see what other terms commonly occur in relation to your search term)
Nexis is a major online resource which provides access to the UK and US national and local papers as well as newspapers from virtually every country around the world.
We subscribe to a large number of newspapers, both international and from the UK. They are available in a number of formats, including print and online. Visit the newspaper resources pages for full information and access to online holdings.
Our UK newspapers comprise current issues and archives of historical newspapers, including the Times Digital Archive, and other news sources. Go to the UK newspapers page for access. American newspapers are included in the list of international newspapers.
Some key resources:
- Chicago Tribune (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): online source of historical local and regional news in Chicago, USA between 1849 - 1990
- The New York Times (1851-2009) with Index (1851-1993) (from ProQuest Historical Newspapers): access to over 150 years of American news, world news, and personal stories from the newspaper known for providing "all the news that's fit fo print"
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers - available via Gale Newsvault
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection Newspapers (part of the British Newspapers 1600-1900 collection)
- 19th century newspapers from the British Library: the full text of many local, regional and national 19th century British newspapers. See the British Library pages for more information and a list of the titles.
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers (from Gale): primary source newspaper content from the 19th century featuring full-text content and images from numerous newspapers from a range of urban and rural regions throughout the U.S., covering topics like the American Civil War, African-American culture and history, Western migration and Antebellum-era life
- Times Digital Archive, 1785-1985 (issues from 1985 onwards are available via the Nexis service - see above)
- Sunday Times Digital Archive 1822-2006 (from Gale): searchable, full text access to The Sunday Times (1822-2006)
- Daily Mail Historical Archive 1896-2004: searchable, full text access to The Daily Mail (1896-2004)
- Illustrated London News: historical pictorial weekly newspaper archive covering the period 1842 to 2003
- Punch Historical Archive 1841-1992: searchable, full text access to Punch, "the world’s most celebrated magazine of humour and satire"
- Times Literary Supplement Historical Archive (1902-2007): comprehensive coverage of the latest and most important publications, in every subject, in several languages as well as reviewing current, theatre, cinema, music and exhibitions
- UK Press Online: access to the Daily Mirror and the Daily and Sunday Express, plus a number of smaller papers