The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Finding journal articles
Databases help you find journal articles and other relevant material for your essays or research. Some services find data on specific disciplines or subject areas, others index only certain types of publications.
Databases usually give you the reference only, but most provide a 'Full text' button to link to the article if the University has a subscription.
Below is a selection of the most useful databases for English Language Studies.
Databases for English Language Studies
|Academic Search Complete||Mixed full text and bibliographic service for all subjects|
|Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (from ProQuest)||Abstracts and indexes for the international literature in linguistics and related disciplines in the language sciences, covering all aspects of the study of language|
|MLA Bibliography (Modern Language Association) (from EBSCO)||Modern Language Association index to material on languages, literatures and linguistics published since 1963.|
|Web of Science||Despite its name, this indexes over 8,000 journals from all subjects published from 1970 onwards. It also gives citation data.|
|Zetoc||Mainly a current awareness service from data provided by the British Library. It includes searchable details of 20,000 journal titles and 16,000 conference proceedings covering all subject areas from 1993 onwards.
Personal current awareness services based on table of contents information from individually selected journal titles or selected keywords are also available from Zetoc Alert and Zetoc RSS.
List of useful journal titles
The following list gives a few examples of journals that are of interest for English Langage and Linguistics. Many are also available in full text online. Please check the Library catalogue (choose 'Journal search') or journals database for specific titles.
- Applied linguistics
- Canadian Journal of Applied Linguistics
- Computational Linguistics
- Critical discourse studies
- Functions of language
- International Journal of Applied Linguistics
- International Journal of American Linguistics
- International Journal of Bilingualism
- Journal of Child Language
- Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics
- Journal of East Asian Linguistics
- Journal of French Language Studies
- Journal of linguistics
- Language & Communication (Psychology)
- Language : journal of the Linguistics Society of America
- Language acquisition
- Language and literature : journal of the Poetics and Linguistics Association
- Language and Speech (Psychology)
- Language in Society (Anthropology & Conservation)
- Language Policy
- Language Resources and Evaluation
- Language Sciences
- Language Variation and Change
- Lingua nostra
- Linguistic inquiry
- Linguistische Berichte
- Narrative (English)
- Natural Language and Linguistic Theory
- Natural Language Semantics
- North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics
- Oceanic Linguistics
- Russian Linguistics
- SouthWest Journal of Linguistics
- Taiwan Journal of Linguistics
- Text & talk
- Text & Talk (Psychology)
- Zeitschrift für deutsche Philologie
You may also find you need to consult film studies journals, eg:
- Sight and Sound
- International Film Review
FAQs: how do I use...
Indexing databases list what is available globally, and not all items may be available at Kent. If an item you want to see does not have a link to the full text, search for the item via the Library catalogue (choose 'Journal search') or the journals database.
If the item is not available at Kent, the document delivery service may be able to get it for you from another library.