The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Templeman Library Microform Collection
The bulk of the Microform collection is located in cabinets on Level 2 Centre. Some microform material may be elsewhere in the Library - the Library catalogue record will indicate this. Material can be viewed, saved to file, or printed in the Microform Room, also on Level 2 Centre. Microforms are confined to the Library.
The Microform Room closes at 9.50pm on weekdays during term, or ten minutes before the Library closes.
What is microform?
Microform is material stored by means of photographic reproduction which requires magnification to be read. Although material is increasingly being made accessible online, some is still only available in microform format. We hold three types of microform:
- mainly available on 35mm film or 16mm film on reels.
- transparent film sheets, usually 4x6 or 3x5 inches.
- each sheet can hold between 40-100 pages.
- similar to microfiche, but opaque sheets, usually 5x3 inches.
- format no longer produced, but the Library holds a few large collections on microcard, such as 'Landmarks of Science' and 'Three Centuries of Drama'.
What material does the Library hold on microform?
A wide variety of material is held on microform, eg:
- journals and magazines
- specialized subject collections
- rare or out of print books or catalogues
- some of the material may be accompanied by booklets
How do I know if something is in microform format, and how do I find it?
All microform material is listed on the Library catalogue.
- If an item is held in the Microform Collection on Level 2 Centre:
- the catalogue entry will show this in the Location/Loan type field, eg: Templeman - Microform Collection Periodicals [Confined].
- If an item is on microform, but is held elsewhere in the Library:
- the Classmark field will say: MICROFORM COLLECTION.
- the location within the Library is given in the Location/Loan type field, eg: Templeman - Open Store [Confined].
How do I view, save, or print information on microform?
All microform machines are located in the Microform Room on Level 2 Centre, where instructions for using the machines are also available.
- Reading machines are available to view all microforms.
- Two microfilm/microfiche readers can be used to print out from microfiche and microcard using flexicards, ie the cards used for photocopying throughout the Library; these can be purchased from a machine on Level 1 Centre for £2 (£1 retainer for the card, £1 credit on the card).
- One microfilm/microfiche reader can be used to save to file or print to networked printers. This machine will also batch scan microfilm pages.
- The microcard readers can be used to save to file or print to networked printers.