Uglow Family HistoryUglows in Tintagel
Situated on the north coast of Cornwall between Port Isaac and Boscastle. Strictly speaking the name of the village is Trevena, the name Tintagel referring only to the headland,. Perhaps best known for its castle ruins and alleged connection with the legendary King Arthur, although unfortunately little evidence has been found to support this story. The first castle was built in the middle of the 12th century on the site of a Celtic monastery, long after the time King Arthur was supposed to have lived. The owner at this time was Reginald, Earl of Cornwall, Henry1's illegitimate son. However, it does appear Tintagel was the home of Cornish Royalty in the past and a place of some importance. The village has several shops and The Old Post Office built in the 14th century is a constant tourist attraction. The nearby village of Tregatta is reputed at one time to have had nine public houses and eight places of worship. At Trevellet there is an old water mill built in 1472; the old workings of which can be seen in what is now a cafe.
Statistics 4885 acres of land
1. The whole of Cornwall
2. Here is a map to get you toTintagel
Family 1: John Jolliffe and Elizabeth Bailey
This family should be on this page but instead they feature as Week St Mary Family 6 - John Jolliffe 1855 marries Elizabeth Bailey in November 1880. In the 1881 census, he is farming 197 acres at Tregatheral, Minster. By 1901, they live and farm at Trecarn, Tintagel - the farm is between Tintagel and Delabole. The 1901 census gives all the children as being born in Tintagel.