The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Printing from a student or staff PC
Documents are sent to the nearest black and white printer and are double-sided.
To choose single-sided: from the print dialog box, under Settings select Print One Sided; or look under Properties or Preferences.
Choosing a different printer
You can choose to use a different printer
- Find out the name of the printer you need - eg choose a colour printer or one that prints to yellow paper ('turner3-yellow').
- Either use Web print, or 'Add the printer' to the PC:
Web print from a student PC
Prints are charged at the usual printing rate; you can print Microsoft Office, XPS and PDF documents. Most student printers are available via this service:
- Log in with your username in its shortest form, eg abc1
- the service doesn't work from iPads and iPhones
- from off campus use https://printing-kent-ac-uk.chain.kent.ac.uk
- Click Web Print (left menu), then Submit a Job.
- If the printer you need is not listed, then it is not available via this service; see the next section for how to install the printer.
- At the bottom of the page click 2. Print Options and Account Selection.
- Follow the process on-screen to upload a file and print.
Adding a printer
Installing a University printer on a student PC/staff PC/any Windows PC:
- Find the Add a printer option for your computer
- Win 7 and Vista: click Start (bottom left) then in the Start Search box type printers and press the Enter key.
- Win 8: from the Start screen click Desktop, then the File Explorer icon (bottom left of screen) and then Computer (left menu). Click Open Control Panel (in the ribbon at the top). Select View Devices and Printers under Hardware and Sound
- Click Add a Printer (near the top of the Printers window) and Next to continue
- Windows 7/Vista/: click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- Windows 8/Vista: click the Stop button to stop it searching for printers.
- If you see it, click The printer that I want isn't listed
- Now locate the printer you require:
- From a student or staff PC: choose Find a printer in the directory and search by name or location (eg Library)
- Win 8/7/Vista: choose Select a shared printer by name
- Enter the printer details in the following format:
replacing server and printer details as appropriate.
- If asked for a username, enter your IT account username in the format ukc\abc1 replacing abc1 with your details.
- Click Next. Windows will now try to connect to the printer. If you see a message asking you to install a driver, click install driver.
- Click Next/Finish as prompted. The printer will now appear in the Printers window and is ready to use.