The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Loyalty discounts and funding for Kent graduates and their families
The University of Kent values its graduates and alumni and is pleased to offer two special schemes to assist with the cost of postgraduate study.
Students should decide which of the schemes below is more valuable to them but can then hold either the Graduate School Scholarship or the Loyalty Discount in conjunction with other awards, except where these awards offer full tuition fees and a UK Research Council equivalent maintenance grant.
For the purpose of these funding schemes the terms graduate and alumni are used to define former students who hold a University of Kent Bachelor´s, Master´s or Doctoral degree certificate.
The University of Kent is pleased to recognise the family and personal loyalty shown by registration on multiple degrees by siblings, children of alumni and spouses/civil partners studying together or alumni studying for additional degrees.
A discount of 10% of the first year´s tuition fee will be allowed on registration and payment of tuition fees as set out below.
Who is eligible?
- A graduate of Kent (holding an undergraduate or postgraduate degree) who registers on a subsequent, privately funded, degree programme at Kent.
- A second or subsequent sibling(s) (brother or sister) register(s) on a privately funded degree programme at Kent. When second or subsequent sibling(s) register(s) on a privately funded, degree programme at Kent, evidence of the prior (or contemporaneous) sibling´s registration will qualify the second or subsequent sibling(s) to a discount of 10% of the first year´s tuition fee. The siblings do not have to be studying at Kent at the same time. Where two or more siblings register for the first time together, the discount will be shared equally between them and will be calculated on the highest tuition fee.
- A child of an alumnus registered on a privately funded degree programme at Kent. Evidence that one of the parents is an alumnus of Kent (a copy of a degree certificate) will qualify privately funded students to the discount of 10% of the first year´s tuition fee.
- The loyalty discount is only applicable for registration on degree courses (both undergraduate and postgraduate).
- Spouses/civil partners who register for degree programmes at the same time or where study overlaps, and at least one tuition fee is privately funded. Evidence of the relationship will entitle one discount of 10% of the first year's tuition fees which may be payable to either the spouse, or shared equally between them. Registration must be at the same time or overlapping.
- Candidates must be self-funded, i.e. they are paying their tuition fees themselves.
- The discount is not allowable on Part I of an undergraduate degree following foundation study as the foundation year is deemed to be part of the undergraduate degree.
- An upgrade from an MPhil to a PhD.
- The discount is not allowable for changes in attendance of the same programme of study.
To apply for the Loyalty Discount please use the Application form (pdf).
The Loyalty Discount is administered by the Income Office, please email for more information.
Graduate School Scholarship
The University offers a £1,000 Graduate School Scholarship to graduates of Kent, who have finished their undergraduate studies in the previous academic year and who are going straight into postgraduate study.
Who is eligible?
- All Kent 2013 graduates who are registered at the University of Kent by 1 October 2013 for a postgraduate degree programme of study at Kent will receive £1,000 off their first year´s tuition fees (£500 for part-time students, for 2 years).
- Candidates must hold an undergraduate degree with honours awarded in 2013 by the University of Kent.
- Candidates must have satisfied the criteria for admission and registered for a postgraduate degree (Master´s or Doctorate) with the University of Kent by 1 October 2013.
- Overseas/home/EU fee paying students are all eligible.
- This scholarship offer is not available to those students who have been awarded foundation degrees, HNCs, HNDs or postgraduate degrees.
Further details can be found at:
The Graduate School Scholarship is administered by the Scholarships Unit; please contact them for more information.
Important information for both schemes
- Alumni – everyone who has completed at least one semester (term) of study at Kent or one of its partner colleges, but to be eligible for the Loyalty Discount an alumnus must hold at least an undergraduate degree from Kent.
- Graduate – those holding a Bachelor´s, Master´s or Doctoral degree from Kent.
The Loyalty Discount cannot be held in conjunction with the Graduate School Scholarship. Students should apply for either the Loyalty Discount or take the Graduate School Scholarship, whichever provides the greater discount.
The University reserves the right to exercise its discretion in the determination of any individual case.
The discounts will only be allowable on the first year of registration and on tuition fees which are privately funded and which have been paid by the due date. It is not possible for a student to qualify for more than one loyalty discount in any one year.
In order to receive the Loyalty Discount the student claiming the discount must complete in full and return the relevant Loyalty Discount Application Form to the University of Kent Income Office. Students must be registered on course before submitting their application form.
Credit of the Loyalty Discount will only be confirmed after all details have been checked against the University´s records and net tuition fees have been received in full. Due to high workloads at the start of the academic year the Loyalty Discount forms will not be processed immediately.
The University reserves the right to disallow the right to the discount if payment of tuition fees is not honoured.