Parking FAQs

Can I have a permit to park?
This web page provides information about who is eligible to apply for a permit to park and how to apply
When do I need a permit to park at the University?
Parking enforcement is in place Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm throughout the whole year (including vacations and Bank Holidays)
I have a motorcycle, do I need a permit and where do I park?

All motorcyclists must apply for a permit to park at both Canterbury and Medway campuses. There is no charge for this permit.

Dedicated motorcycle bays are available in the Keynes, Darwin and Eliot College car parks at Canterbury, as well as at the Estates Department. A dedicated bay is located behind the Rochester Building on the Medway campus. Please consult the campus maps to locate them.

Please read this further information for motorcyclists.

Do I need a permit if I am a Blue Badge Holder?

Yes, you will need to apply for a permit. These are issued free of charge and need to be displayed alongside your Blue Badge.

If you are a member of staff or student at Canterbury or Medway then please apply online. If you are a visitor then please contact the Parking Office in the Estates Department (telephone (01227 82)3609 or 4530).

Please read this further information for drivers with a disability.

Where can I park if I have a Blue Badge?
There are a number of dedicated accessible parking bays for disabled drivers. Please consult the campus maps for their locations.
What is the exclusion zone and what area does it cover?
Due to the limited number of spaces available on campus, parking is not available to those students who live on campus or within the exclusion zone. The Canterbury exclusion zone coves the post codes CT1 1**, CT1 2**, CT1 3**, CT2 7** and CT2 8**. The Medway exclusion zone covers the post codes ME1 1**, ME4 3**, ME4 4**, ME4 5**, ME4 6**, ME7 1**, ME7 2**, ME7 4** and ME7 5** (including residents of Liberty Quays).
Where does my parking permit allow me to park?
Permit Colour Permit type available Entitled applicants
Blue Zone car parks Blue
  • Annual
  • Temporary
  • Occasional User
  • Student car share
Staff and students
All car parks (except visitor-only Pay & Display) Pink
  • Annual
  • Temporary
  • Occasional User
  • Staff car share
  • Mobility
Staff and students who have exceptional circumstances which have been accepted by the Parking Panel
Pay & Display car parks (The Gulbenkian, Sports Centre, Beverley Farm, Blean and The Pavilion) White Pay & Display tickets only Visitors only, except Beverley Farm which also accepts Pink permit holders and Blean and The Pavilion which also accept Blue and Pink permits.
How much is a parking permit?
Permit Type Permit Style Applicant Charge
Annual - Blue Zone car parks Blue disc
  • Permanent staff
  • Students who reside outside the local exclusion zone during term time
£20 per year
Annual - all car parks except visitor only Pay & Display car parks Pink disc Staff
Gross Salary Charge
£1 - £25,000 £30 per year
£25,001 - £37,000 £50 per year
£37,001+ £75 per year
Students who have received approval from the Parking Panel £30 per year
Car Share Green disc Staff £15 per person per year
Student £20 per team per year
Temporary Grey disc Staff and eligible students £4 per month
Occasional User Scratch card Staff and eligible students 50p per day
Motorcycle Pink disc Staff and students Free
Mobility Pink 'D' disc Blue Badge Holders Free
Approved staff with no Blue Badge
Gross Salary Charge
£1 - £25,000 £30 per year
£25,001 - £37,000 £50 per year
£37,001+ £75 per year
Approved students with no Blue Badge £20 per year
How do I apply for a parking permit?
You can apply online via the following link
Where can visitors to the University park?
There are varying arrangements in place for visitors depending on the reason for your visit. Please see
I have received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN), what happens next?
The PCN itself contains information abouut how to either pay or appeal against the notice. Please also see
How do I get involved with car sharing?
The University of Kent recognises the benefits of car sharing and has teamed up with The University of Greenwich, Canterbury Christ Church University, The University of Creative Arts and Mid Kent College to develop a private online car share scheme for staff and students. Please see for more information.
How do I arrange parking for a large event?
By contacting the Transport and Parking Office, either by emailing or by phoning 01227 823609.
How do I find alternative means to travel to the University?
The University of Kent recognises the importance of reducing single occupancy car use, which will not only assist in alleviating congestion but also help to improve the environment and people's health. As an integral part of building an effective academic institution, the University has developed a Transport Strategy and Travel Plan to work alongside both the local authority and government policies. Please see for further information.
What should I do if I change my vehicle, name or contact details?
If you change your name or contact details please email quoting your permit number and we will arrange for a new permit to be issued. You can change your vehicle details online
What would I receive a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) for?
A list of infringements is displayed on the following web page
If I am a student can I park on campus during vacations?
The same level of parking enforcement is in place during vacations as during term time, so unless you have a permit you will not be able to park on campus during vacations.