The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Why choose English at Kent?
- Our students are happy with their degrees. We achieved a rating of 95% for overall student satisfaction in the 2012 National Student Survey placing us 9th nationally.
- Our students find jobs. We ranked 5th in the UK for English graduating students' career prospects in the 2013 Guardian University Guide.
- Excellent international opportunities to study abroad. All students can choose to take the year abroad option with their degree. The year abroad can be spent in one of our 10 EU destinations, one of our 16 US destinations and even to Hong Kong.
- Our curriculum is broad. We offer courses ranging from Chaucer to David Mitchell (Mitchell also did his English degree with us, Chaucer did not)
- You can tailor your degree to suit your interests because of the research strengths of our staff. In the last year we have increased the number of permanent academic staff in order to provide even more variety and expert teaching. We ranked 7th in The Guardian University Guide 2012 for staff to student ratio.
- One-to-one essay feedback. We pride ourselves on giving one-to-one feedback on coursework essays submitted during term-time.
- Our department’s creative work is internationally recognised. The writers within the department have been nominated for the Booker Prize and The Orange Prize. We also have a John Llewellyn Rhys prize-winner and a Time Out ‘Book of the Year’ writer.
- English at Kent provides a supportive and high quality student experience. The University was ranked 3rd in the UK for overall student satisfaction in the 2012 National Student Survey which reflects the quality of experience we aim to provide. Our excellent pastoral care and academic advisor systems ensure that our students are supported throughout their entire student experience.
- The University of Kent offers a generous undergraduate Scholarship for Academic Excellence to students that achieve AAA over three A levels (or the equivalent specified qualifications)
- Our students write for the University newspaper, for the Creative Writing Society, for the English Society and for any number of the competitions run annually on the campus or locally.
- We are located in a beautiful and self-contained campus which overlooks the city of Canterbury with excellent transport links to London and mainland Europe and a variety of bars, shops and even a nightclub.