The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Professor Alan Carruth
Head of School / Professor of Economics
School of Economics Keynes Room Bg.01
- +44 (0) 1227 827449
Alan Carruth is Head of the School of Economics
Alan trained at the Universities of Stirling, Strathclyde and Warwick. He has been a member of the School of Economics at the University of Kent since October 1979. He received his PhD from the University of Warwick in 1983.back to top
- "Job Insecurity and Wages" (with David Campbell, Andrew Dickerson and Francis Green), The Economic Journal, 117, 2007, 544-566.
- "Inter-Industry Wage Differences and Individual Heterogeneity”, (with W. Collier and A. Dickerson), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 66, 2004, 811-846.
- "Investment and Uncertainty: A UK Company Panel Study", (with A. Henley and A. Dickerson), Economics Letters, 78, 2003, 87-92.
- "Asymmetric Error Correction Mechanisms and UK Consumer Spending", (with A. Dickerson), Applied Economics, 35, 2003, 619-630.
- "Econometric Modelling of UK Aggregate Investment: The Role of Profits and Uncertainty", The Manchester School, 68, 2000, 276-300.
- "Are Aggregate Consumption Relationships Similar Across the European Union?", Regional Studies, 33, 1999, 17-26.
- "Unemployment Equilibria and Input Prices: Theory and Evidence from the United States", Review of Economics and Statistics, (with A. J. Oswald and M. Hooker), 80, 1998, 621-628.
- "Job tenure and asset holdings", Economic Journal, 104, 1994, 338-349, (with Richard Disney and Andrew Henley).
- "The determination of contract wages in West Germany", with Claus Schnabel, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 95, 1993, 297-310.
- "Consumer durables spending and housing market activity", with Andrew Henley, Scottish Journal of Political Economy, 39, 1992, 261-271.
- "The Housing Market and Consumer Spending", (with Andrew Henley), Fiscal Studies, 11, 1990, 27-38.
- "Can Existing Consumption Functions Forecast Consumer Spending in the Late 1980s?", (with A. Henley), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 52, 1990, 211-222.
- "Where Have Two Million Trade Union Members Gone?", (with R. F. Disney), Economica, 55, 1988, pp.1-19.
- "Wage Inflexibility in Britain", (with A. J. Oswald), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 1987, pp.59-78.
- "On Union Preferences and Labour Market Models: Insiders and Outsiders", (with A. J. Oswald), Economic Journal, 97, 1987, 431-445.
- "A Test of a Model of Trade Union Behaviour: The Coal and Steel Industries in Britain", (with A. J. Oswald and L. Findlay), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 48, 1986, 1-17.
- "Miners Wages in Post-War Britain: An Application of a Model of Trade Union Behaviour", (with A. J. Oswald), Economic Journal, 95, 1985, pp.1003-1020.
- "On the Quantitative Significance of Imperfect Information", European Economic Review, 20, 1983, pp.365-379.
- "On the Role of the Production and Consumption Assumptions for Optimum Taxation", Journal of Public Economics, 17, 1982, 145-55.
- "The Determination of Union and Non-Union Wage Rates", (with A.J. Oswald), European Economic Review, 16, 1981, pp.285-302.
- "Wage Determination and Industrial Prosperity", (with A. J. Oswald), Oxford University Press, December 1989, 216 pages, ISBN 0-9-828692-9.
back to top
Alan’s research interests are in Labour Economics, Macroeconomics and Applied Econometrics. This includes work on Inter-Industry Wages, Job Insecurity, Investment under Uncertainty, and Consumer Spending.
Alan's RePEc page is http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pca509.htmback to top
- EC302 Introduction to Economics (co-convenor)
- EC306 Mathematics for Economics and Business Mode B
- EC309 Statistics for Economics and Business
- EC511 Quantitative Economics (co-convenor)
- Wed 10.00 – 11.00
- Thu 14.15 – 16.00
- Mr Mihai Paraschiv, registered 2012
- Mr Ivan Mendieta-Munoz, registered 2012
- Mr Isaac Sserwanja, registered 2010
- Mr Reinhold Heinlein, registered 2009
Past PhD students
- Dr Jose Sanchez-Fung: "Essays on monetary policy in the Dominican Republic and Latin America." Completed 2002.
- Dr William Collier: "Labour market heterogeneity: Wage determination and unemployment duration". Completed 2001.
- Head of School
- Member of CHUDE
- Member of WPEG Steering Committee