The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Professor Alan Carruth
Professor of Economics
School of Economics Keynes Room B2.07
- +44 (0) 1227 827449
Alan trained at the Universities of Stirling, Strathclyde and Warwick. He has been a member of the School of Economics at the University of Kent since October 1979. He received his PhD from the University of Warwick in 1983.back to top
- "Job Insecurity and Wages" (with David Campbell, Andrew Dickerson and Francis Green), Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(518), pages 544-566, 03, 2007.
- "Inter-Industry Wage Differences and Individual Heterogeneity”, (with William Collier and Andrew Dickerson), Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 66(5), pages 811-846, December, 2004.
- "An asymmetric error correction model of UK consumer spending," (with Andrew Dickerson), Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(6), pages 619-630, 2003.
- "Industry-wide versus firm-specific uncertainty and investment: British company panel data evidence," (with Andrew Henley and Andrew Dickerson), Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 87-92, January, 2003.
- "Wage Determination and Industrial Prosperity", (with A. J. Oswald), Oxford University Press, December 1989, 216 pages, ISBN 0-9-828692-9.
back to top
Alan’s research interests are in Labour Economics, Macroeconomics and Applied Econometrics. This includes work on Inter-Industry Wages, Job Insecurity, Investment under Uncertainty, and Consumer Spending.
Alan's RePEc page is http://econpapers.repec.org/RAS/pca509.htmback to top
- EC306 Mathematics for Economics and Business Mode B (Convenor)
- EC309 Statistics for Economics and Business (Convenor)
- Mon 09.30-11.00
- Thu 14.15-16.00
- Mr Mihai Paraschiv, registered 2012
- Mr Ivan Mendieta-Munoz, registered 2012
- Mr Joe Morell, registered 2013
- Mr Isaac Sserwanja, registered 2010
Past PhD students
- Dr Reinhold Heinlein: "On the International Transmission of Monetary Policy", completed 2013
- Dr Jose Sanchez-Fung: "Essays on monetary policy in the Dominican Republic and Latin America", completed 2002
- Dr William Collier: "Labour market heterogeneity: Wage determination and unemployment duration", completed 2001
- Member of CHUDE
- Member of WPEG Steering Committee