The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Junior Year Abroad (JYA)
The JYA programme runs for the full academic year from September to June. It is aimed at native speakers of English, or those with an excellent command of the English language.
About the JYA
Start date: Sep 2014
Finish date: Jun 2015
- Location: Canterbury campus
- Attendance: Autumn, spring and summer terms
- Credits: 120 credits in total: 60 credits during the autumn term and 60 credits during the spring term
- Modules: See choosing your modules
- Accommodation: Students are given the option of living on campus, providing they make their application by 31 July. Accommodation on campus is either in colleges or in self-catered houses or flats. See our accommodation pages for more information. Students who would prefer to live off campus can find out about private accommodation.
- Enquiries: T: +44 1227 827994 F: +44 1227 823247 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Junior Year Abroad (JYA) programme allows you to choose from a wide range of modules at Kent.
All JYA students take modules worth 120 credits, split over the autumn and spring terms. You can choose from modules from Stages 1, 2 or 3 of any undergraduate degree, giving you a lot of flexibility in your studies.
If you wish to take modules within a new subject area it is usually advisable to choose from the Stage 1 modules, which are at an introductory level. We also encourage students to select modules that form a coherent programme of study. Please bear in mind that your choices will need to be approved by the relevant academic school.
It is important that you choose your modules carefully, selecting topics that you are interested in and that are suitable for your level of academic knowledge.
If you would like to take a more focused approach, you can choose modules from a specific subject that lead to an undergraduate diploma.
If you would like to study at Kent for a shorter period than a full academic year, you may be interested in our single-semester programmes.back to top
Applicants need to demonstrate that their level of English is high enough to be able to study at degree level.
The minimum requirements for a Junior Year Abroad are as follows:
- We normally require a GPA of 3.0 or above (out of 4.0) or equivalent. However each application is considered on an individual basis.
- IELTS: An overall score of 6.5, with at least 6.0 in Reading and Writing and 5.5 in Listening and Speaking
The application deadline is 30 June 2014.
Junior Year Abroad English PLUS
If you do not meet the required proficiency in English for the standard Junior Year Abroad programme, you may be interested in the Junior Year Abroad English PLUS programme which has been specially designed to meet the needs of students whose first language is not English.
JYA outline structure
- Mid Sep: General and academic orientation with new Kent academic year entrants
- Late Sep - mid Dec: autumn term
- Mid Dec - mid Jan: winter break
- Mid Jan - mid June: spring term including spring break
Enquiries: T: +44 1227 827994 F: +44 1227 823247 E: email@example.com