The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Resistance in Practice - PO936
Undergraduate or postgraduate masters level module
|20 (10)||Rossbach Dr S|
The information below applies to the 2013-14 session
As part of the “Resistance in Practice” module, students can choose between submitting an academic essay on a historical instance of “resistance” and performing a “practice of resistance”. We envision that such “practices of resistance” could involve poetry, theatre, painting, sculpture, video, film, photography, music and other forms of artistic expression. The “practice” has to be a “documented practice”, which means that students have to submit not just the “performance” but also a portfolio in which they reflect on what they did and why. Early on in the module, students interested in submitting a “documented practice” for assessment discuss their ideas with the module convenor, and they will continue to work on their projects with the help of a supervisor.
Method of assessment
- Benjamin, W. The Work of Art in an Age of Mechanical Reproduction, London: Penguin, 2008.
- Debord, G. Society of the Spectacle, London: Rebel Press, 1992.
- Gandhi, M.K. The Story of My Experiments with Truth: An Autobiography, London: Penguin, 2007
- Gandhi, M.K. Selected Political Writings, Indianapolis: Hackett, 1996
- Kamalipour, Y.R. Media, Power and Politics in the Digital Age: The 2009 Presidential Election Uprising in Iran, Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2010
- Kotkin, S. (with a contribution by Jan Gross) Uncivil Society: 1989 and the Implosion of the Communist Establishment, New York: Random House, 2009
- Kubik, J. The Power of Symbols against the Symbols of Power, Philadelphia: Penn State University Press, 1994
- Pleyers, G. Alter-Globalization. Becoming Actors in the Global Age, Cambridge: Polity Press, 2011
- Ranciere, J. The Politics of Aesthetics, London: Continuum, 2006.
- Weigel, G. The Final Revolution: The Resistance Church and the Collapse of Communism, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1992