The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
The Counselling Service offers you independent support.
We offer you a safe place with time and space to reflect, debrief or talk through anything that seems to be preventing you from settling in to University life.
Feelings of homesickness can attack the most independent student on arrival at University and sometimes it helps to talk about it.
Other things that we can help are:
- Getting out and about on campus. Talking to the student's union volunteers and other new students who may be feeling just the same;
- Getting to know the campus and what’s available for you in terms of clubs, activities and other interest groups. Walking around until it becomes familiar;
- The same applies for Canterbury. The Canterbury Festival begins in the first week of October. Look out for what’s on at the cinema, sports facilities, shops, cafes and even pubs that you like;
- Busying yourself with preparations for your course;
- Staying in touch with friends and family from home will help you to feel they are not so far away;
- Making your room a safe and comfortable place to come back to. Make it yours;
- If the feelings continue, come and talk to one of our counsellors. You can call in for a one-off half hour assessment. This doesn’t commit you to regular weekly counselling.