I Want to Work In … Transport and Logistics
PROFILE: Logistics/Distribution Manager
INVOLVES: Managing all the processes that make up the supply chain from the raw material to where the end product is used - providing the right product, in the right quantity, at the right time. Coordinating the supply, distribution & storage of goods. Managing transport & distribution centres including drivers & warehouse staff. Using complex computer systems to control the flow of goods & to gather information. Managing inventories. Handling materials.
PROFILE: Road Transport Manager
plans schedules and routes of drivers in passenger transport, road haulage, distribution and logistics. Works out most economical method of completing journeys. Makes sure operations comply with regulations on environmental laws, hours of drivers, safety of vehicles, food hygiene and customs requirements.
- Prospects Sector Briefing: Transport Sector www.prospects.ac.uk/links/TransportSB
Prospects Occupational Profiles
- An overview of occupations within the transport sector , current issues, skills gaps and predicted trends can be found at: www.guidance-research.org/future-trends/transport
- British International Freight Association www.bifa.org
- Careers in Logistics www.careersinlogistics.co.uk
- Transport Planning Society www.tps.org.uk
- Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport www.ciltuk.org.uk
Real announcements that London Tube train drivers have made to their passengers ...
'Do you want the good news first or the bad news? The good news is that last Friday was my birthday and I hit the town and had a great time. The bad news is that there is a points failure somewhere between Stratford and East Ham, which means we probably won't reach our destination.'
'Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but there is a security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together. All together now.... 'Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall.....'.
'Let the passengers off the train FIRST!' (Pause ) 'Oh go on then, stuff yourselves in like sardines,
see if I care - I'm going home....'
'To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the second carriage -- what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?'
- Department for Transport www.dft.gov.uk
- Inside Careers www.insidecareers.co.uk - vacancies, company profiles and careers advice
- Institute of Highways and Transportation www.jobsinhighwaysandtransportation.co.uk site includes a “student lounge” with jobs, placements and careers advice
- Links to a wide variety of transport-related organisations from Edinburgh University www.careers.ed.ac.uk/STUDENTS/Careers/P2.html
- Jobs in Transport www.jobs-in-transport.com jobs in all aspects of transport.
- Exel Logistics www.exel.com
- Logistics Manager www.logisticsmanager.com provides news and resources, as well as job vacancies, for logistics professionals.
- Logistics Job Shop www.logisticsjobshop.co.uk leading, recruitment agency for people seeking a career in the logistics industry.
- Barclay Meade www.barclaymeade.com/logistics-and-supply-chain-jobs supply chain, logistics and transport jobs.
- Real World Magazine: Logistics and Transport www.realworldmagazine.com/logistics-and-transport
- Gist www.bocgrads.co.uk/about_us_gist.htm - part of BOC, providing distribution services
- Hoyer www.hoyer-group.com organises world-wide transports for the chemical industry
- Royal Mail www.royalmailgroup.com
- John Swire & Sons www.swire.com activities include aviation and shipping, with extensive interests in the Far East . Wincanton www.wincanton.co.uk
- Oceanic Resources International www.oceanicresources.com Recruitment specialists in Logistics, Supply Chain, Freight Forwarding, Shipping and Transport.
Land transport – road and rail
- Autocity http://autocity.org.uk Institute of the Motor Industry resource which covers every job in the motor industry. Information on salary, skills and qualifications required, case studies and details of career path opportunities.
- Enterprise Rent-a-Car https://www.enterprisealive.co.uk large graduate training scheme
- Eurostar www.eurostar.com Rail passenger services through the Channel Tunnel. Eurostar's head office is based at Waterloo ; their call centre is in Ashford and offers part-time employment opportunities for students and graduates;
- Eurotunnel www.eurotunnel.com Eurotunnel manages the infrastructure of the Channel Tunnel and operates the freight and passenger vehicle-carrying service from Folkestone to Calais
- Arriva www.arriva.co.uk bus and rail transport in 9 European countries
- First Group – bus and rail transport www.firstgroup.com
- National Express Group www.nationalexpressgroup.com/nx1/careers
- Network Rail www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/117.aspx
- TheRichWorks.co.uk www.therichworks.co.uk industry portal for Rail, Infrastructure, Construction & Highways
- Stagecoach Group www.stagecoachgroup.com/scg/careers
- Transport for London www.tfl.gov.uk/microsites/graduates/default.asp
- Merchant Navy Officer profile www.prospects.ac.uk/merchant_navy_officer_job_description.htm
- Careers at Sea CareersatSea.org careers website of the Merchant Navy Training Board (MNTB). Has list of Merchant Navy training companies.
- Royal Fleet Auxiliary www.royalnavy.mod.uk/the-fleet/royal-fleet-auxiliary the supply ships for the Royal Navy
- Don Pedro's Global Maritime Shipping Job Links www.donpedroshipping.co.uk Site for merchant seamen but also has links to shore-based vacancies. Includes advice for newcomers to the shipping industry.
- The World Shipping Directory http://wsd.world.no
- The Nautical Institute www.nautinst.org for general advice on shipping-related careers
- Maersk www.maersk.co.uk shipping company with graduate training scheme
- Container shipping ports and companies www.cargosystems.net
- Cruise Service Centre www.cruiseservicecenter.com advice on working in the cruise ship industry plus vacancy information
- LD Lines www.ldlines.co.uk Channel ferries
- P&O Ferries www.poferries.com Dover-Calais ferries
- Seafrance www.seafrance.com French Dover-Calais ferry company which employs around 200 staff in Dover , the majority in front-line customer service roles
- Dover Harbour Board www.doverport.co.uk
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (ImarEST) jobs and recruitment information.
- I want to work for an Airline www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/airline.htm
- I want to work in the Motor Industry www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/motorindustry.htm
Last fully updated 2011