I Want to Work In .... Trading Standards
PROFILE: Trading Standards Officer
Trading Standards Officers check businesses such as shops, pubs by testing their weighing and measuring devices. They detect and prevent fraudulent trading and prosecute where necessary. They work with the police, customs and other bodies and take away samples for later analysis, advise traders, investigate complaints from customers and present evidence in court.
- The Trading Standards Institute www.tscareers.org.uk
- Prospects Occupational Profile www.prospects.ac.uk/trading_standards_officer_job_description.htm
- Local Government Careers www.lgcareers.com includes Trading Standards careers and course information at www.lgcareers.com/career-descriptions/protecting-your-community/trading-standards-officer
- Manchester Metropolitan University www.hollings.mmu.ac.uk offers a Graduate Diploma in Trading Standards
- Trading Standards Central www.tradingstandards.gov.uk information for consumers, with useful links
- Office of Fair Trading www.oft.gov.uk
- www.LGjobs.com vacancies in local authorities all over the country
- Opportunities www.Opportunities.co.uk magazine for Local Government vacancies
- Kent County Council www.kent.gov.uk Their vacancy pages are good.
- Canterbury City Council: vacancy page www.canterbury.gov.uk/jobs
- Medway Council www.medway.gov.uk
Last fully updated 2011