I Want to Work in … Purchasing and Supply Chain Management
What is purchasing management?
Also known as buying, procurement or supply chain, purchasing management manages the interface between the supply market and the organisation. Its importance lies in the fact that a company can spend more than two thirds of its revenue buying its goods and services, so even a modest reduction in purchasing costs have a significant effect on profit.
What do purchasing managers do?
A purchaser may be responsible for sourcing raw materials from suppliers worldwide, bringing them into the organisation, to enable production of goods for customers. This could also involve the purchasing of marketing, advertising or IT related services. Purchasing managers need to get to know the market, build relationships with suppliers and negotiate contracts and prices.
PROFILE: Purchasing Manager/Buyer
INVOLVES: Buying products & services for an organisation. Inviting tenders, adjudicating bids & placing contracts. Negotiating with suppliers. Selecting suppliers & managing contracts. Materials planning & stock management liaising with product users. Much work done on the phone.
- See our retailing careers page for a retail buyer profile
- Profiles of an industrial buyer www.prospects.ac.uk/links/indbuyer
and a retail buyer www.prospects.ac.uk/links/retailbuyer are available on the Prospects website
- Graduate Careers in Purchasing and Supply www.cips.org information on the CIPS professional qualifications.
- Graduate Guide to Procurement www.graduateprocurement.com excellent guide by Supply Management magazine
- Inside Careers http://tinyurl.com/ye4ltqj careers advice and a list of employers recruiting graduates into this function
NOT SURE WHAT PURCHASING AND SUPPLY MANAGEMENT IS? Find out more about this sector and what role it plays in our society and, of course, our buying habits.
KEY ISSUES WITHIN THE INDUSTRY We’ve talked about the power large supermarkets can wield, but what are the other issues that are being talked about at the moment?
WHAT COULD YOU BE DOING? This sector offers a range of opportunities from merchandising and buying to supply chain management and logistics. Learn more about these professions by reading on…
WHAT'S IT LIKE WORKING FOR SAINBURY'S? Hannah Macey discusses a week in the life of a Site Planning Manager for Sainsbury’s. She became interested in the company after studying them for her MSc. On graduation she applied for a role and now works out of Basingstoke.
PURCHASING IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR Many public sector organisations use consultancies to deal with certain areas of business. One such example is Firebuy who look after procurement for the Fire Services. Find out what Terry Brewer, as Chief Executive Officer, has to say about his job.
- Purchasing jobs from Reed UK recruitment www.reed.co.uk/purchasing
- Barclay Meade Procurement Jobs www.barclaymeade.com/procurement-jobs
- The Independent http://tinyurl.com/y9j7vtz article on purchasing and supply management careers
- Government Procurement www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk
Last fully updated 2012