I Want to Work In ... Insurance
The insurance industry offers a wide range of jobs including actuarial work, sales, surveying, claims handling and investigation, underwriting, risk management, investment management, and pensions management.
Insurance companies also recruit for general management functions such as accountancy, marketing, management services and personnel.
For an overview of opportunities in insurance see www.insurancecareers.cii.co.uk/2.opportunity.html
PROFILE: Insurance Broker
Arranges insurance for clients. Works out the requirements of clients, calculates the risks they face and suggests appropriate insurance. Negotiates with insurance companies to get the best policies for clients. Attends meetings, collects insurance payments. Clients may be individuals or organisations.
EMPLOYERS: Insurance brokers, especially Lloyd's, insurance companies.
SATISFACTIONS: Having specialist knowledge, well paid, mainly 9 to 5.
NEGATIVES: Have to work to deadlines - quite a lot of pressure.
SKILLS: negotiating, analytical, numeracy, attention to detail.
DEGREE: any subject - business or maths-related useful.
PROFILE: Insurance Underwriter
Prospects Industry Insights: Banking, Investment and Insurance www.prospects.ac.uk/industries_banking_overview.htm
Occupational Profiles for the following career areas can be found on the Prospects website at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/InsurePen
- Chartered loss adjuster
- Insurance account manager
- Insurance broker
- Insurance claims inspector
- Insurance risk surveyor
- Insurance underwriter
- Pension scheme manager
- Pensions consultant
Professional bodies and Information Sources
- Discover Risk www.discoverrisk.co.uk. The careers website of the Chartered Insurance Institute with case studies, employer links, market data and interactive career builder too, for example
- Association of British Insurers www.abi.org.uk
- British Insurance Brokers’ Association www.biba.org.uk
- Directions www.directions.org.uk/careers/insurance the insurance section of the Financial Services Skills Council careers website.
- Inside Careers employers and advice
- Target Jobs http://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/financial-services/areas-of-work/insurance
- Q&A on insurance careers from the Guardian (November 2011) http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-in-insurance
- Allianz www.allianz.co.uk/home/careers-at-allianz/graduate-careers-recruitment.html Commercial graduate training programme
- AON www.aon.co.uk graduate programmes in Insuance & Risk Management and Actuarial Consulting, plus actuarial summer placements. Has an office in Canterbury.
- Aviva www.aviva.com/careers
- AXA Insurance http://jobs.axa.co.uk/graduates/index.html
- Brit Insurance www.britinsurance.com/careers.aspx graduate training scheme in underwriting, insurance and risk management
- Catlin www.catlin.com/en/unitedkingdom/careers/graduates graduate opportunities and summer internships in fields such as underwriting, claims, finance and IT
- Chartis Insurance www.chartisinsurance.com/uk/graduates world-leading property-casualty and general insurance organisation serving more than 40 million clients in over 160 countries and jurisdictions.
- Chaucer Insurance www.chaucer-insurance.co.uk Specialist motor insurer based in Whitstable
- Cunningham Lindsey www.cunninghamlindsey.com Specialist claims management and loss adjusting service
- Direct Line Group http://directlinegroupcareers.com
- Ecclesiastical Graduate Business Leader Scheme
- Eldon Insurance www.eldoninsurance.co.uk Newcastle-based insurance services company with a graduate training programme
- Endsleigh www.endsleighcareers.co.uk Founded as a student insurance provider and have had campus offices for 40 years. Now offer a range of services from motor and home insurance to student and travel insurance
- Hiscox www.hiscox.com/careers.aspx leading international specialist insurance group with graduate scheme and internship opportunities. Specialisations include fine art, events and film production.
- JLT Insurance Brokers www.jltgroup.com/group/careers one of Europe’s biggest insurance brokers. Graduate training schemes cover an introduction to insurance, reinsurance and/or employee benefits.
- Kiln Group www.kilngroup.com/careers/graduate-programme
- Legal and General www.legalandgeneralgroup.com/careers
- Lloyd's of London www.lloyds.com/Lloyds/Careers/Graduates graduate programmes and a summer internship scheme
- Marsh http://uk.marsh.com/AboutUs/Careers.aspx international risk management and insurance company offering graduate training scheme
- Prudential www.pru.co.uk/content/careers
- RSA Group www.rsagroup.com/rsagroup/en/careers Graduate and internship programmes
- Saga www.saga.co.uk/careers.aspx insurance and financial services. Based in Folkestone.
- Standard Life www.standardlife.com/careers/graduates/index.html Based in Edinburgh: offers a variety of graduate programmes and summer internships
- Swinton www.swintoncareers.com/index.htm
- Swiss Re www.swissre.com/careers leading and highly diversified global reinsurer.with its UK headquarters in London’s ‘Gherkin’ . Offers graduate programmes and internships.
- Towergate Partnership www.towergate.com/careers.aspx Europe's largest independently owned insurance intermediary. Based in Maidstone
- Willis Ltd www.willis.com one of the world's leading risk management and insurance brokers.
- Zurich www.zurich.co.uk/graduates/home/welcome.htm two-year graduate programme in Actuarial, Finance, Claims, Underwriting, Business Change and IT, General Management, or Business Analysis
Insurance recruitment agencies
- IPS Group www.ipsgroup.co.uk
- IDEX www.idexconsulting.com a team of ethical consultants with over 50 years of combined recruitment experience within Insurance, Claims/Legal and Financial Services industries
- Hays Insurance www.hays.co.uk/insurance - general insurance, actuarial, broking, claims, loss adjusting, regulatory & compliance, underwriting.
- Insurance jobs www.insurancejobs.co.uk general insurance recruitment marketplace with vacancies across all levels within actuarial, broking, claims, compliance, sales and marketing, reinsurance, risk, underwriting and Lloyds and London markets
- Insurance Jobs Board www.insurancejobsboard.com Search for jobs (including graduate positions) in a wide variety of areas of the insurance industry
- Randstad www.randstadfp.com/insurance-jobs
- Hillman Saunders www.hillmansaunders.com insurance recruitment specialists
For ACTUARIAL WORK see www.kent.ac.uk/careers/actuarial.htm
Last fully updated 2012