I Want to Work In … Hospitality
Any job in the hospitality sector will involve a wide range of responsibilities and, even on a graduate training programme, you must be flexible and willing to muck in and do whatever tasks need doing. A relevant degree or postgraduate qualification is not always required but experience in some aspect of hospitality, however junior, is usually expected.
PROFILE: Hotel Manager
INVOLVES: Co-ordination & management of hotel, including: staff, accommodation, catering, ancillary services.
- There is an Occupational Profile on Prospects at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/HotManage
- People First www.people1st.co.uk/career-guide useful information for skills needed for hotel management
- Hilton Hotels www.hilton.co.uk
- Inter-Continental Hotels Group www.ihgplc.com
- There is an Occupational Profile on Prospects at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/FastFood
- McDonalds www.mcdonalds.co.uk
- Moto www.moto-way.co.uk
You'll need some experience of having worked in a pub first of course, but most jobs advertised have flexible requirements. There is also an Innkeeping qualifying certificate from the British Institute of Innkeeping (see below)and a GNVQ in Pub Management.
There is an Occupational Profile on Prospects at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/PubManage
First Time In Hotel
For general information see:
- British Institute of Innkeepers www.bii.org includes careers advice
- The Publican www.thepublican.com careers advice and case studies
The following groups advertise vacancies:
- Greene King - pub tenancies www.greenekingjobs.co.uk
- The Spirit Group www.thespiritgroup.com
- Wetherspoons www.wetherspoonjobs.co.uk
There is an Occupational Profile on Prospects at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/RestManage
General Information and vacancies
- Prospects Sector Briefing on Hospitality www.prospects.ac.uk/links/HospitalitySB you can also pick up a print version from the Careers Service.
- An overview of occupations within the hospitality sector, current issues, skills gaps and predicted trends can be found at: www.guidance-research.org/future-trends/hospitality
- Careers in Food & Drink www.careersinfoodanddrink.co.uk advice and information about jobs in all areas of food manufacture, sales and service
- Hospitality Graduate Recruitment www.h-g-r.com global agency which specialises in student and graduate recruitment in the hospitality industry
- List of graduate recruiters in the hospitality sector, from Manchester Metropolitan University www.mmu.ac.uk/careers/students-and-graduates/resources/guides/graduate-recruiters-hospitality-sector.pdf
- BnB Edition www.enjoybedandbreakfast.com/bnbedition/category/business/starting-b-and-b practical tips and marketing advice for bed and breakfast owners and those considering working self employed in the hospitality industry. Also advice on pub management
- The Caterer www.caterer.com has a graduate jobs section
- Hcareers www.hcareers.co.uk all kinds of jobs in the hotel, catering and leisure industries
- The Institute of Hospitality www.instituteofhospitality.org website for hospitality, leisure and tourism professionals.
- Hotel Jobs www.hotel-jobs.co.uk recruitment agency for hotel jobs
- Sodexo www.sodexo.co.uk catering and events support
- Springboard UK www.springboarduk.org.uk - promotes careers in hospitality and related areas
- British Hospitality Association www.bha.org.uk national trade association for hotels, restaurants and caterers.
Last fully updated 2012