I Want to Work in … Events Management
What is an event?
It could be:
- A trade fair
- A charity fundraiser
- A wedding
- A conference
- A sporting event
- A concert
- A dog show
- A street festival
- An awards ceremony
- A corporate day out
or many other things - even a graduate recruitment fair!
What do event managers do?
PROFILE: Events Manager
INVOLVES: Sales, marketing to potential exhibitors & customers, selecting venues, event co-ordination - liaising with caterers, contractors & stand designers, publicising events, public relations.
For a more detailed description see the Prospects Occupational Profile - Event Organiser for a description of the role and tasks involved
How do I get into events management?
There is no one way in, but you are unlikely to find a “graduate training scheme” in events management. Typical routes might be through:
- Office management/administration
- Public relations or promotional work
- Hotel or restaurant management
- Leisure and tourism
- Arts administration
Whatever route you choose, be prepared to start at the bottom – there are many opportunities for enthusiastic and flexible people to progress. Any relevant experience is worthwhile, even bar work or waiting on tables. Take any opportunity you can to gain experience of organising events on a small scale through University activities such as Rag or JCCs.
- Zibrant www.zibrant.co.uk Event Management Agency based in Canterbury. Do not offer 'Graduate Training Schemes,' but do have a number of (vacant) event management positions available for, and frequently taken up by, graduates which are ideal as they enter the business at a level where they will be trained with the intention of becoming Event Managers. The ideal positions for graduates are Project Executive and Venue Find Consultant. Contact Emma Bason, Head of Operations, European HQ, Zibrant, Orchard House, Orchard Street, Canterbury CT2 8AP, Tel: 01227 378 870
- Cancer Research UK offers internships in events management and fundraising.
- Phoenix Leisure www.phoenixleisure.co.uk/index.html may be able to offer some students work as freelance team building/ event instructors during vacations.
- Exhibition organisations www.tsnn.co.uk
- Imagination Ltd www.imagination.co.uk
- Reed Exhibitions www.reedexpo.com/App/homepage.cfm?appname=100266&moduleID=1722
- Sodexho www.sodexo.co.uk
- Theme Traders www.themetraders.com
- JobServe Events www.jobserveevents.com
- Green Ant Event Management and Party Planners www.greenantevents.com they offer student placements, and opportunities for employment on graduation.
These can be helpful but should not be relied upon to find you a job – you will need to be proactive and make speculative applications. Usually, they will expect candidates to have relevant skills (especially office/secretarial skills) and/or experience. For guidelines on using recruitment agencies and a listing of more generalist agencies, go to www.kent.ac.uk/careers/recruit.htm
- Albany Appointments www.albany-appointments.co.uk - media and conference recruitment
- Eligo www.eligo.co.uk specialise in events recruitment
- ESP Recruitment www.esprecruitment.co.uk events and hospitality recruitment agency
- Event Jobs Net www.event-jobs.net
- Jobs in Events www.jobsinevents.com
- Live Recruitment www.live-recruitment.co.uk audio visual and events industry jobs.
- Regan & Dean www.regananddean.co.uk
- SpringBoard UK www.springboarduk.org.uk/careers careers information and jobs board.
- Eventia www.eventia.org.uk the official trade body of the events and live marketing industry
- The Association for Conferences and Events www.exhibitions.co.uk
- Association of Event Organisers www.aeo.org.uk
- Society of Event Organisers www.seoevent.co.uk
- World of Events www.worldofevents.net
- Meetpie.com www.meetpie.com meetings and events industry portal
Publications and Other Useful Sites
- International Production Directory 'The White Book' www.whitebook.co.uk lists conference and events companies. Available for reference at Careers Reception.
- Hollis Business Entertainment: the annual guide to corporate hospitality and events. Available for reference at Careers Reception.
- Creative Handbook www.chb.com
- Event www.eventmagazine.co.uk
- Mad www.mad.co.uk
- Access All Areas www.access-aa.co.uk
- Event Management UK www.event-management-uk.co.uk useful site for background information on arranging events, also includes directory of events sites
- List of events throughout the UK www.exhibitions.co.uk
- Leeds Metropolitan University www.leedsmet.ac.uk MSc in Events Management
- Event Management Training www.eventtr.co.uk private training in central London. Offers a work placement in conjunction with a taught course.
Last fully updated 2012