I Want to Work In .... Counselling
"How do you do Nothing," asked Pooh after he had wondered for a long time.
"Well, it's when people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, 'What are you going to do, Christopher Robin?'
and you say, 'Oh, Nothing,' and then you go and do it.
It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."
"Oh!" said Pooh.”
INVOLVES: Enabling individuals to come to terms with & try to solve problems or issues often of a very emotional & personal variety. Can also work with groups of people in this way.
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) www.bacp.co.uk
- The British Psychological Society (BPS) www.bps.org.uk
- The National Council for Voluntary Organisations www.ncvo-vol.org.uk
- United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy www.psychotherapy.org.uk
- ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online) www.acto-uk.org includes information on training
- Counselling Directory www.counselling-directory.org.uk
- NLPtCA www.nlptca.com the Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapy and Counselling Association is a not-for-profit company dedicated to developing and promoting the use of NLP in therapeutic and counselling settings.
See the following job profiles
They were really concerned about my age, saying that they did not think I had enough experience to bring to the job because I am so young. They said that if I was successful, they would only offer me the chance to do the course part-time to begin with, because they believed that I need more "time for growth" and "to get to know myself better". I hoped that they were just testing me to see how I would cope under pressure and I tried to confidently state that whilst I can't match the experience of older interviewees, I can definitely match them in enthusiasm and hard work. You can imagine my delight when I received a letter saying that I have been formally offered a place!
Interviewee for psychotherapy course
Life coaches support and encourage people to help them fulfil their potential in areas such as relationships, careers, fitness, work-life balance and self-confidence.
- Life Coach Directory www.lifecoach-directory.org.uk contains a section on the different areas a life coach can provide coaching for and some useful frequently asked questions
- Life Coaching Information www.personal-coaching-information.com coaching advice, tips and information for business growth, executive careers, personal life and sports performance plus how to start a coaching business.
- The Coaching Academy www.the-coaching-academy.com provider of life coach training. free two day course www.the-coaching-academy.com/coaching-course/free-coach-training.asp
Hypnotherapists try to access the subconscious to help clients to overcome a wide range of psychological and physical problems including: phobias, anxiety and panic attacks, problems sleeping, lack of confidence, stress-related conditions and habits such as smoking. They induce a state of deep relaxation in clients, and then make suggestions to their subconscious to alter negative patterns of thought and behaviour.
- British Society of Hypnotherapists www.britishhypnotherapists.org.uk/training1.php uphold ethical standards and training
- BST Foundation www.bstfoundation.co.uk run diploma courses in London and Cardiff. Courses are at weekends to fit in with the working week. Have also started the first accredited hypnotherapy degree course at St. Mary's University, London: in the UK.
How many counsellors does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but the bulb must want to change.
What's the difference between counselling and psychotherapy?
About 30 pounds an hour ;-))
Meditation is not what you think.
Meditation has no future!
- Zodiac Academy for Clinical Hypnotherapy www.zodiactherapytraining.co.uk/training/mind/clinical-hypnotherapy-diploma.html Diploma in Clinical hypnotherapy training to practitioner standards, based in Swansea.
- Hypnosis Unit UK www.hypnosisunituk.com London
- Medical and Dental Hypnosis Society run weekend courses.
- General Hypnotherapy Standards Council www.ghsc.co.uk is developing vocational competencies and qualification framework as well as establishing a registration process, as yet voluntary. Senior level is based on 5 years in regular practice plus appropriate Professional Development. General Hypnotherapy Register web-site offer a listing of courses which fulfil the standards and have been accredited by the GHR.
- A range of providers are advertised regularly in the Psychologist magazine published by the BPS - you can access it in PDF free from their website www.bps.org.uk
- The British Society of Clinical and Academic Hypnosis www.bscah.com
Last fully updated 2012