I Want to Work for a Charity
The first thing to think about is what work you would do – the range of job roles in charities is vast, from accountancy to zookeeping. There are over 170,000 registered charities in the UK, whose fields of activity cover everything from human rights campaigning to animal welfare; from medical research to child care and from sports to religious affairs.
PROFILE: Charity Fundraiser
A typical starting job for graduates.
PROFILE: Charity Officer
INVOLVES: administration; report/proposal writing, budgeting, project appraisal, evaluation.
Detailed job profiles for all the above roles and Volunteer Work Organiser can be found at www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Occupations
It can be difficult for new graduates to break into the charity sector: those who succeed are likely to have gained experience through voluntary work and to have useful business, fundraising, computing or similar skills to offer.
Finding Job and Volunteering Opportunities
“Passion for a cause is vital but not enough. People need to offer the right mix of skills and experience. They’ll be expected to work as hard and to meet as many targets and deadlines as in any commercial company”
- Voluntary Sector Jobs www.voluntarysectorjobs.co.uk list all types of Charity jobs, Housing jobs, Jobs in NGOs, the Arts etc.
- Forum 3 www.forum3.co.uk annual recruitment event for the not-for-profit sector
- Society Guardian – articles and jobs http://society.guardian.co.uk/voluntary
- Charity Jobs and Third Sector Jobs www.charityjob.co.uk popular site for charity jobs
Graduate Recruitment Schemes
Few charities offer any kind of “graduate training scheme” and those that do are highly competitive, attracting at least 100 applications for every one vacancy. The charities listed below have run graduate recruitment schemes in the past.
- Oxfam www.oxfam.org.uk careers section is at www.oxfam.org.uk/what-we-do/about-us/working-at-oxfam sometimes run a recruitment programme for graduates. Oxfam also offer excellent training to students who work with them on short placements or on a regular voluntary basis.
- Cancer Research UK offers graduate opportunities in fundraising and marketing www.cancerresearchuk.org
- IntoUniversity Graduate Trainee Education Worker Scheme
- The Charities Advisory Trust www.charitiesadvisorytrust.org.uk
- Barnados www.barnardos.org.uk
- Scope www.scope.org.uk/jobs/index.shtml
Try a few internships for students with disabilities/ethnic minorities etc at the link below:
Charities offering Volunteer Internships
"To successfully secure corporate donations fundraisers need to know their audience and communicate with them in a way that appeals to their wants and needs.
With this in mind, it’s vital that fundraisers have a commercial awareness of the pressures faced by and aims of any companies being targeted for support."
These are unpaid but normally offer lunch and travel expenses
- Cancer Research UK
http://supportus.cancerresearchuk.org/internships 12 week summer, autumn and spring internships at Cancer Research UK. Lunch and travel expenses covered. Internships focus on campaigning, fundraising, marketing, policy and events.
- World Land Trust www.worldlandtrust.org international conservation organisation that takes direct action to save rainforest: they buy it, acre by acre. Has a very successful six-month internship programme which aims to equip recent graduates with the skills and experience needed for a career in conservation. From time to time other voluntary opportunities and paid vacancies are also available. See the Jobs and Internship page for more details.
- British Red Cross www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=52382&entrypoint range of opportunities via their volunteering opportunity search engine online. Summer volunteer internship program www.redcross.org.uk/internships
- British Red Cross. Next month we will be advertising our so it would be great if you could add a link to us through your website.
- Oxfam short and long term opportunities www.oxfam.org.uk
- Barnados www.barnardos.org.uk/work_with_us/volunteering/internships.htm
- Save the Children www.savethechildren.org.uk/en/49.htm also look under ‘Specialist assignments'
- NSPCC www.nspcc.org.uk
- Groundwork Trust www.groundwork.org.uk
- Turning Point www.turning-point.co.uk
- CSV www.csv.org.uk
- do-it www.do-it.org.uk
- V www.vinspired.com volunteering opportunities worldwide.
International Volunteer Internships
|"Knowledge of quantitative data collection; statistical analysis; financial modelling and analysis & reporting of quantitative data, a good business and commercial awareness plus previous experience of working in a charity or social enterprise (paid or voluntary), is desirable."
Advert for charity marketing post
- World Land Trust www.worldlandtrust.org
- Christian Aid www.christianaid.org.uk/aboutus/jobs/index.aspx
- Voluntary Services Overseas www.vso.org.uk
- ATD www.atd-uk.org
- Development in Action www.developmentinaction.org
- Student partnerships worldwide www.spw.org
- VSO www.vso.org.uk
- Frontier www.frontier.ac.uk
- Amnesty International web.amnesty.org/jobs/internships
- UN Headquarters New York www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/sds/internsh/htm/faqs.htm
Specialist Charity Recruitment Agencies
- CF Appointments has produced a booklet on Working for a Charity , which can be downloaded from their website. The site also has a number of useful links to charities and voluntary organisations www.cfappointments.com
- Calendar Check www.calendarcheck.co.uk/events/index.php?com=rc50 charity recruitment section. Can upload your CV.
- Charity People www.charitypeople.co.uk recruit to permanent and temporary positions all over the UK
- Jobs in Charities www.jobsincharities.co.uk
- Red Sea Consultancy www.redseaconsultancy.co.uk specialist consultancy for the Environmental, International Development, Religious, Social Welfare and Animal markets.
- www.nfpjob.co.uk specialised jobs board for volunteers, charities and other not-for-profit organizations.
- Prospects Sector Briefing on the Voluntary Sector www.prospects.ac.uk/links/VoluntarySB
- Charity Choice www.charitychoice.co.uk searchable encyclopaedia of charities on the Internet
- Institute of Fundraising www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk jobs, training and careers advice
- Comprehensive list of UK medical research charities
See also our pages on Volunteering www.kent.ac.uk/careers/vacwork.htm#volwork
Last fully updated 2012