I want to work in ..... the Public Sector
- General Information & Vacancy Sources
- Civil Service
- Finance-related Public Bodies
- Local Government
38% of workers had a degree or equivalent qualification in the public sector, compared with 23% in the private sector in 2010
- Health Service
- Prison, Fire & Probation
- Other Organisations
- Prospects Sector Briefing Local, Regional & National Government www.prospects.ac.uk/links/GovernmentSB
- Prospects Occupational Profiles Public Administration www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Adminpub
- Target Jobs: Government and Public Service http://targetjobs.co.uk/local-and-central-government
Video of Question Time on Public Sector Graduate Recruitment in 2011 www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcBEsph8fcI
PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYERS AND VACANCIES
- Prospects Public Sector Community www.prospects.ac.uk/links/communities vacancies, careers information, features and news about the public sector.
- UK Online www.direct.gov.uk links to government information and services including A-Z indexes of central and local government bodies
- JobsGoPublic www.jobsgopublic.com a wide range of job opportunities across public sector organisations. You can register to be notified of vacancies by email
- Public Jobs Direct www.publicjobsdirect.com provides temporary and permanent jobs in the public sector.
- The Guardian all the features and job ads from the Wednesday "Society" section http://society.guardian.co.uk
- www.ecarers.com Dedicated Social Care Job Board for qualified and unqualified professionals to work in the social care sector.
- Civil Service Fast Stream http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk the Civil Service's accelerated development programme for graduates
- How to be a Civil Servant www.civilservant.org.uk
- Civil Service Network www.civilservicenetwork.com
Central Government Departments and Agencies
"The public sector is increasingly required to meet targets and therefore values commercial awareness in addition to a commitment to public services"
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills www.bis.gov.uk
- Department for Education www.education.gov.uk
- Department for Culture, Media & Sport www.culture.gov.uk
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs www.defra.gov.uk
- Department for International Development www.dfid.gov.uk
- Department for Transport www.dft.gov.uk
- Department for Work & Pensions www.dwp.gov.uk/careers
- Environment Agency www.environment-agency.gov.uk
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office www.fco.gov.uk
- Government Economic Service www.ges.gov.uk
- Government Legal Service www.gls.gov.uk
- Government Procurement Service www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk recruits between 20-25 graduates a year onto the Civil Service’s graduate training scheme in purchasing.
- The Health & Safety Executive www.hse.gov.uk
- Highways Agency www.highways.gov.uk
- HM Revenue & Customs www.hmrc.gov.uk
- HM Treasury www.hm-treasury.gov.uk
- Home Office www.homeoffice.gov.uk
- Identity & Passport Service www.ips.gov.uk
- UK Border Agency www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk
- Meteorological Office www.metoffice.gov.uk
- Ministry of Defence
- DESG www.desg.mod.uk engineering & science opportunities in the Ministry of Defence
- DSTL (Defence Science and Technology Laboratories) www.dstl.gov.uk
- Other defence agencies and organisations
- Northern Ireland Civil Service www.nicsrecruitment.gov.uk
- Office for National Statistics www.ons.gov.uk
- Scottish Government www.scotland.gov.uk
- UK Intellectual Property Office www.ipo.gov.uk
- Welsh Assembly Government www.wales.gov.uk
PROFILE: Civil Servant - Fast Stream Entry
INVOLVES: research, writing reports, memos, letters, ministerial speeches, briefing ministers, liaison with other Government departments, non-governmental organisations, industrial & commercial organisations.
PROFILE: Civil Service - Operational Officer
INVOLVES: Implemention of Government legislation. Liaison with the general public, other Government departments/agencies & outside bodies. Management of staff & resources.
Civil Service Science and Engineering Graduate Fast Stream
This now offer a more clearly defined four-year programme. The programme divides neatly into two halves. The first two years will give breadth of experience; the second two will give depth. New Fast Streamers will gain experience in at least four of the following areas:
- operational delivery (providing front-line services direct to the public)
- policy development (such as work in a Bill team, or in a minister’s private office)
- corporate services (to help your department function efficiently as an organisation)
- people management
- commercial awareness
- financial management
- project and programme management
The placements will be in at least two government departments, and may be in different parts of the country. There will also be an opportunity to work in the small and medium enterprise sector or in a charity through a short secondment. During their remaining two years, they will gain more in-depth experience in two 12-month placements. They will then have completed the programme and, subject to a final assessment of ongoing development needs, they will graduate from it. Applications for entry in 2013 will be accepted from Monday 17 September until 30 November 2012, via www.civilservice.gov.uk/faststream.
Technology in Business (TiB) Fast Stream
For graduates with a lively interest in how technology can transform the way the Civil Service does business, the Technology in Business (TiB) Fast Stream is an outstanding opportunity.
TiB candidates do not have to be studying for a technology related degree –successful candidates have a wide range of backgrounds and experiences.
Consider the IT challenges posed by education, health and welfare, justice, and border control. The TiB Fast Stream offers graduates the opportunity to get to the heart of issues like these, whilst equipping them with the skills and experience they need to take on a range of senior cross- government IT and digital roles later in their careers.
In the 2013 competition there are a number of opportunities for TiB Fast Streamers in Warrington. Universities in the North West, please note. To find out more about the TiB Fast Stream, visit the Fast Stream website at http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/The-Fast-Streams/TIB-Fast-Stream or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for entry in 2013 will be accepted from Monday 17 September until 30 November 2012.
FINANCE-RELATED PUBLIC BODIES
- Financial Services Authority www.fsa.gov.uk the regulatory authority for the financial services industry recruits graduates in any subject, especially degrees with a high numerical, analytical or legal content
A fine is a tax for doing wrong.
A tax is a fine for doing well.
- HM Revenue & Customs www.hmrc.gov.uk
- National Audit Office www.nao.org.uk the independent "financial watchdog" monitoring government spending
- CIPFA www.cipfa.org.uk/eandt advice on the accountancy qualification for the public sector, plus vacancy information
- Finance the Future www.financethefuture.co.uk a CIPFA training scheme organised by local authorites across London
PROFILE: Tax Inspector - HM Revenue and Customs
Agrees the accounts of companies & individuals by enquiry, investigation & negotiation. Works as part of a team on complex tax projects. Formulates policy. Investigates evidence where there is a suspicion of fraud. Offers specialist tax advice.
PROFILE: Customs & Revenue Officer
INVOLVES: preventing the smuggling of drugs, weapons & other prohibited items into the UK. Collecting taxes on imported goods. Observing people in the customs hall who have just entered the country. Questioning selected individuals & searching for smuggled items. Examining freight. Arresting people suspected of smuggling.
- Information Site for Careers in Local Government www.lgcareers.com
- National Graduate Development Programme for Local Government - a centralised recruitment scheme for graduates onto a two-year work and training programme in a local authority www.ngdp.org.uk
- Jobsearch Website advertises current vacancies in local authorities all over the country www.LGjobs.com
- Opportunities - magazine for Local Government vacancies www.Opportunities.co.uk
- Kent County Council www.kent.gov.uk Graduate Programme offers three streams: Management, Finance and Transport and Development. Established for 10 years and provides a wide range of opportunities to gain qualifications and valuable public sector experience.
- Canterbury City Council: vacancy page www.canterbury.gov.uk/jobs
- Medway Council www.medway.gov.uk
- London Borough of Hillingdon www.hillingdon.gov.uk dedicated recruitment section but also a webpage to appeal specifically to graduates. Wide range of vacancies available at any one time.
PROFILE: Local Government Administrator
Responsibilities may include working with the public, elected members of the authority, colleagues in other departments & outside bodies to provide & monitor services & ensure value for money. Areas of work within local authorities include: Committee services (a frequent entry point for new graduates), elections; complaints investigation; personnel services (including equal opportunities), tourism, leisure services.
The NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme www.nhsgraduates.co.uk recruits students who wish to specialise in general management, financial, informatics or human resource management. There were approximately 12,000 applicants for 2012 entry (compared with the 15,000 for the 2011 intake). There are approximately 150 places for the 2012 entry. The NHS Institute for Leadership and Innovation runs the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
The ‘What can I do with my degree?’ section www.whatcanidowithmydegree.nhs.uk is an excellent site, particularly the case studies and is an easy way for students to explore the varied opportunities and career pathways for students of all subjects. Too often, students focus on the NHS graduate schemes, rather than exploring the full range of other management and general career opportunities available and this site guards against this.
"Commercial awareness is increasingly seen as crucial for the functioning of the NHS ... the new NHS Commercial Operating Model is changing the rules of procurement – and opening doors for the medtech industry."
- NHS Careers www.nhs.uk/careers provides more than 3000 pages of information on many of the careers opportunities available in the NHS.
- Hospital and Other Health Service Contact Details www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx
- NHS Jobs www.jobs.nhs.uk England-wide job vacancy website. More than 500 Trusts currently place vacancies on the site. This is the usual method of application for jobs in the NHS
- Health Jobs UK www.healthjobsuk.com job advertisements for NHS Trusts across the UK (as well as some agencies, private employers and charities), and useful careers information for starting a career in the health service.
- Nursing and Medical Therapies
- Ambulance Service (Paramedic)
- Becoming a Doctor
- Hospital Scientist
PROFILE: Manager - Health Service
INVOLVES: Strategic planning, Managing hospital services, Managing a team. Financial management of budgets. Introducing service developments. Negotiating & managing contracts. Involving service users (particularly GP's) in decision making process. Property management of buildings. Management of service delivery against annual targets: e.g. chiropody, health visiting, pharmacy services, physiotherapy, dental services, district nursing, breast screening, family planning.
POLICE, PRISON, FIRE AND PROBATION SERVICES
- Our Police page is at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/Police.htm
- Our Prison Service page is at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/Probation.htm#Prison
- Our Probation Service page is at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/Probation.htm
- Our Fire Service page is at www.kent.ac.uk/careers/workin/Police.htm#FIRE
OTHER PUBLIC SECTOR ORGANISATIONS
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
Committee: a group of people that keeps minutes and wastes hours.
- The Association of University Administrators www.aua.ac.uk
- The Chartered Institute of Housing www.cih.org
- English Heritage www.english-heritage.org.uk
Last fully updated 2012