Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual/transgender (LGBT) Students
Issues affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual and transsexual/transgender (LGBT) students and graduates may include:
- Your rights. Since 2003 the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2003/20031661.htm have outlawed discrimination in the workplace on the grounds of sexual orientation; the Sex Discrimination (Gender Reassignment) Regulations 1999 amended the Sex Discriination Act 1975 making it unlawful to discriminate on grounds of gender reassignment in employment and vocational training;
- Finding gay-friendly employers;
- Coming out at work. You may want to think about if and how to come out at work and how high profile you want your sexual orientation to be.
- Gay Business Association www.gba.org.uk includes directory of member companies and useful links
The following organisations can offer advice about your rights and information about gay-friendly employers and jobs.
- Advice on handling discrimination issues from Gradiuate Prospects www.prospects.ac.uk/links/gay
- Diversity Milkroundwww.diversitymilkround.com graduate employment site aimed at breaking down barriers. Details of graduate vacancies with leading employers - all of whom are champions of diversity. Also includes general information for people from minority groups, jobs, courses, events and an online forum
- Press for Change www.pfc.org.uk a campaigning and information site for all transsexual and transgendered people in the UK. Includes lots of useful information on employment issues
- Stonewall www.stonewall.org.uk campaigning organisation for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals. Includes a section on the Workplace and a student guide to employers.
- Pink Paper jobs site http://jobs.pinkpaper.com includes advice, job-hunting tips and news as well as vacancy adverts
- Kent LGBT Society www.ukclgbt.co.uk
- The Diversity Group www.thediversitygroup.co.uk promotes equal opportunities to people from every kind of minority background or lifestyle, including race, gender, disability, age, faith and sexual orientation.
Last fully updated 2013