- What do Anthropology graduates do?
- Occupations of UK Anthropology graduates
- Employers of UK Anthropology graduates
- Jobs where an Anthropology degree may be useful
- Employability skills developed studying anthropology
- Employment & Further Study of University of Kent Anthropology Graduates
- Longer Term Prospects
- Careers and Employability Service Resources
- Anthropology links - useful websites
- Also see our page on WORKING IN A DEVELOPING COUNTRY
Here is some careers information relating to what Anthropology graduates can do after they graduate. The AGCAS "Options with Anthropology" leaflet available from the Careers and Employability Service (CES) should be read in conjunction with the information contained here. The statistics that follow come from the University of Kent's Destination Survey which indicates student activity six months after graduation.
At the University of Kent Anthropology can be studied with a variety of other subjects. The destination statistics below reflect all types of combinations available.
ANTHROPOLOGY ALL UK GRADUATES
This is what, in the broadest terms, Anthropology students from the University of Kent do immediately after they graduate based on 2005- 2010 data.
- Employment 62.6%
- Further study 27.4%
- Not available 3.7%
- Seeking employment 6.3%
Here are the occupational groups in which Anthropology graduates first gain employment.
- Clerical & Secretarial
- Management & Administration
- Associate Professional & Technical Occupations
- Personal Services
- Professional Occupations
These are the industrial classifications of the first employers of Anthropology graduates.
Here are some examples of jobs where an Anthropology degree may be useful. You can research more information about these occupations by looking in the Occupational files of the careers library at the CAS or by visiting the Prospect website at www.prospects.ac.uk
Here are some examples of jobs and courses obtained by University of Kent graduates between 2008 and 2010
All Seasons-Community Care Worker
Anglia Ruskin University-PGCE
Ace Academy-Venues Co-ordinator
Kings College London-MA
Menzies Aviation-Passenger Service Agent
Goldsmiths-MA Social Anthropology
Here are some examples of what Anthropology graduates are doing several years after graduation.
Here are some examples of CAS facilities available to University of Kent Anthropology students. There are many more, so why not visit us and see what else we have. We are located next to Keynes College and are open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm.
- Alumni Careers Network
- Employer Files
- Occupational Files
- Occupational Profiles
- Prospects Postgraduate Directory
- Prospect Planner - generates job ideas
- "Options with Anthropology" leaflet.
- Careers Programme for Anthropology 2nd Year undergraduates in Lent Term.
- See our very comprehensive List of International Development Organisations
- BBC News. What does a corporate anthropologist do? www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13611845
- Online Directory of postgraduate courses in the UK www.prospects.ac.uk/links/Pgdbase
- UK Government information service www.direct.gov.uk
- Links to charities www.charitypeople.co.uk
- VSO (Voluntary Service Overseas) www.vso.org.uk
- The Royal Anthropological Institute www.therai.org.uk has an anthropology vacancies link page
- American Anthropological Association www.aaanet.org
- DFID (Department for International Development) www.dfid.gov.uk
- International scene - Oneworld.net www.oneworld.net
- Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK & Commonwealth www.theasa.org
- The Society for Applied Anthropology www.sfaa.net/
- Japanese Society of Cultural Anthropology wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jasca/index-e.html
- National Association for the Practice of Anthropology (US) www.practicinganthropology.org
- British Association for Biological Anthropology and OsteoAtchaeology www.babao.org.uk
Last fully updated 2011