The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Scholarship Opportunities for 2013/14
The School of Arts are pleased to announce details of scholarship opportunities for postgraduate study for 2013/14 entry.
Based in a newly completed, purpose built facility, the School of Arts is home to an exciting postgraduate community, engaged in a wide variety of innovative, quality, interdisciplinary research. Our 2008 Research Assessment Exercise submission was amongst the largest and most successful departments in our research area.
The School of Arts has a number of Scholarships to award, including:
- University 50th Anniversary Doctoral Studentships
- School of Arts MA Bursaries
- Kent at Paris Scholarships
- The Jackie Chan Scholarship in Film, Visual and Performing Arts
- School of Arts International Scholarships
Further information on all of these may be found below. Note that, in each case, the applicant must have already applied for, and been offered, a place for postgraduate study in the School of Arts before applying for the Scholarship.
School of Music and Fine Art MA BURSARIES
To celebrate the formation of the new School of Music and Fine Art, we are offering a total of 5 bursaries worth £2,000 each, which are available for the following MA programmes:
- MA: Sound and Image
- MA: Fine Art
- MA: Music Composition
- MA: Music Technology
Deadline for applications is 12 noon monday 1st July 2013
How to apply: Please apply using the University's online system for your programme of choice.
Bursaries will be awarded on the strength of CV and accompanying portfolio. Successful applicants will be notified by July 31st 2013.
If you would like an informal discussion about the MA Sound and Image please contact us:
Tel: 01634 888821 or via email: SMFAReception@kent.ac.uk.
50th Anniversary Research Scholarships
The School has a number of Doctoral Scholarships to award as part of the University of Kent's 50th Anniversary scheme. These scholarships will be for Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTAs), which will cover tuition fees at the home/EU rate plus a maintenance grant and a salary element. GTAs will be offered for one year in the first instance, renewable for a maximum of three years subject to
Candidates must hold a good Honours degree (First or 2i) or a Master’s degree at merit or distinction in a relevant subject or equivalent.
GTA Scholarships are available to UK, EU and overseas postgraduate research students, although it should be noted that the awards will be at the UK/EU rate.
How to Apply
To be eligible to apply for one of these scholarships, candidates must already have secured the offer of a place for postgraduate study at Kent. Scholarship awards will be made through the School's research centres. Applicants should therefore explain how their intended research projects fit with the aims and research interests of the specific centre with which they would like to be associated. Applications for a Scholarship should be made on the attached form
The closing date for receipt of GTA Scholarship Applications is 4pm on Friday 1 March 2013.
For further information and advice on funding available to School of Arts Postgraduate students, please contact the Postgraduate Administrator at A.J.Whiffen@kent.ac.uk
Graduate School Scholarships
The Graduate School scholarship awards a £1,000 scholarship to all graduates who earn a Bachelors degree with honours (or undergraduate Masters degree) from the University of Kent.
NB. This offer does not include students progressing from franchised programmes at the Associate Colleges. There is no application system, and the fee reduction is applied automatically to qualifying students.
More information is available on the Scholarships website
Kent at Paris Scholarships
The University of Kent at Paris is pleased to be able to offer a scholarship fund for taught Master’s students for the academic year 2013–14:
- Worth up to £6000 each (the full value of Home/EU fees, part-value of overseas fees)
- Valid on a taught Master’s programme in the Paris suite of programmes.
- The scholarship is open to candidates who have been offered a place on any of the Kent at Paris MA programmes in Comparative Literature, French and Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, Modern French Studies, Postcolonial Studies, Architecture and Cities, Eighteenth Century Studies, Modern History, English and American Literature, Film, History and Philosophy of Art to start in September 2013
- Candidates must hold a first-class Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant subject, or hold an equivalent non-UK qualification or a Master’s degree at merit or distinction in a relevant subject or equivalent by July 2013
- Paris Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding applicants able to demonstrate a high level of academic achievement, clear intellectual ambition and the potential to make a strong contribution to their chosen MA programme
- This scholarship is open to all full-time postgraduate applicants. UK, EU and overseas fee paying students are invited to apply.
- Candidates must make a formal application to study on an applicable Paris taught Master's programme to commence their studies in September 2013
- Candidates must then be offered a place on the one of these programmes
- Candidates must also send a letter of motivation, not exceeding 500 words, stating why they wish to join their chosen Kent at Paris MA programme and how this fits into their longer term plans
- The letter should be sent to the Academic Director of Paris, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The deadline for applications: 1st May 2013.
Jackie Chan Scholarship in Film
Through the generosity of the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation, this scholarship enables a Hong Kong resident or graduate to study for a Master’s degree in Film within the School.
The successful applicant will receive £15,000 over one year towards tuition fees and accommodation. S/he will have the opportunity, where suitable subjects are available, to study at the University’s Canterbury campus, or at the Paris centre.
How to Apply
To be eligible to apply for this award, candidates must already have secured the offer for a place on the MA Programme in Film (Canterbury or Paris). In addition, you should complete and return the attached form outlining your suitability for this award to the Arts Postgraduate Administrator at A.J.Whiffen@kent.ac.uk
The deadline for applications for the Jackie Chan Film Scholarship is Friday 3 May 2013.
School of Arts International Postgraduate Taught Scholarships
The School of Arts is offering a number of scholarships to international applicants for the following Taught Master's courses for 2013 entry:
- MA Arts Criticism
- MA Curating (subject to approval)
- MA Drama & Theatre
- MA Film
- MA Film (Paris)
- MA Fine Art
- MA History & Philosophy of Art
- MA History & Philosophy of Art (Paris)(subject to approval)
- MA Music Technology
- MA Music Composition
- MA Shakespeare
- MA Sound and Image (subject to approval)
These scholarships will provide £1,000 towards tuition fees, for the first year of study only.
In order to be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must have received an offer from the University of Kent for one of the above courses for 2013 entry.
These scholarships are open to overseas fee paying applicants only.
How to apply
On receipt of your formal offer, you should email email@example.com stating your full name and date of birth, the course you have applied for, and an image/example of your work outling your suitability for the award. The deadline for receipt of International Scholarship applications is 31st March 2013.
The School of Arts reserves the right not to allocate any or all of these awards if the selection panel is unable to identify suitable candidates.
School of Arts MA Bursaries
This year the School of Arts is introducing six one-year bursaries of £2000 each for Masters students. In order to be eligible for these scholarships, applicants must have received an offer from the University of Kent for one of the School’s standard fee Taught Masters courses at the Home/EU rate for 2013 entry. There is no separate application for the bursary: all applicants who are successful in admission to the School of Arts by the deadline will be automatically considered.
The closing date for applications for these Scholarships is 4pm on Friday 1 March 2013.