The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Living on campus
Welcome to the University of Kent at Canterbury. The magnificent city of Canterbury is steeped in history and throughout the year is buzzing with tourists and, of course, students. Named as the safest city for students in England and Wales in the 2012 Complete University Guide, the cosmopolitan city of Canterbury will definitely cater for all your cultural and social needs!
Located on the top of the hill and within easy reach of the city, the Canterbury campus is surrounded by the tranquility of the Kent countryside and offers large open spaces, which you will find you are sharing with ducks, rabbits, squirrels and rare birds.
Your University accommodation will be your home for the next 9 or 12 months and we want you to enjoy living here. Sharing with housemates or flatmates for the first time might seem like a daunting prospect (especially after living at home) but it will provide you with a unique opportunity to make friends with people from around the UK or even the world.
Here are a few tips to ensure that everything runs smoothly:
- Don’t just sit in your room – get out and join in with things and meet new people.
- Have a regular meeting with fellow residents in your house/flat/corridor to discuss issues that affect you all and make a rota to share out the everyday chores that need to be done.
- If you haven’t all agreed to share food, don’t help yourself to their tea and biscuits!
- When you’re listening to music, keep the volume down or use headphones – not everyone likes the same kind of music!
- Respect other people’s belongings and keep items in your room if you don’t want others to use them.
- Listen to your fellow residents. What seems like reasonable behaviour to you could be a very annoying habit to others!
- If a problem does arise, make sure you talk it through to try and resolve the issue before things get out of hand.
- If you really can’t sort things out yourself, go and talk to your College Master. The Masters’ Offices are there to help resolve any problems you might encounter.