The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Annual Report 2005-06
Celebrating the past, building for the future
Vice-Chancellor Professor David Melville sets the scene for the University of Kent Annual report;
‘Success has always been thought of as a combination of hard work and inspiration. Universities have always been characterised by both qualities and if Kent’s current position is anything to go by we have them in abundance’.
The building blocks for the success of Kent range from acclaimed architectural developments, a move up the national rankings to working in partnerships across Europe. Kent has earnt a reputation for bold, imaginative and innovative initiatives and these were given a stamp of approval by Kent’s shortlisting for The Times Higher Institution of the Year Award 2006.
- Innovative campus development in Medway
- Rising up the rankings
- Celebrations for Architecture
- Ground-breaking cross-Channel projects
- A trail-blazing approach to widening participation
- National Teaching Fellowship
- Improvements on Canterbury campus
- National Student Volunteering Award
- Consistently rising research income
Looking to the future, Kent’s new institutional plan for the years 2006-2009 is based round the vision that: ‘By 2015, the exceptional student experience and internationally recognised research of the University of Kent – the UK’s European University – will have secured Kent’s place in the top 20 of UK universities’.
- Defining our values
- Building new partnerships
- Developing research capacity
Success relies on talented, dedicated and hard-working staff and students who have been recognised with a range of awards and achievements in 2006, including;
- John Fitzpatrick, Senior Lecturer in Law and Director of the Kent Law Clinic, was appointed OBE
- Allison Coll won the British Pharmaceutical Students’ Association Student of the Year award
- Dr Fritz Mühlschlegel, Reader in Medical Microbiology, was appointed a British Medical Association (BMA) role model in academic medicine.
Also read more about;
- Faculty prizes
- Fairtrade status
- New University Chancellor
- Honorary graduates
- New professors
The University's research achievements and partnerships are highlighted in a twin publication: the Research and Enterprise Report.
The University's annual accounts are presented in the Financial Statements for the year to 31 July 2006 (pdf format).