The University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NZ, T +44 (0)1227 764000
Professor John Baldock
As Pro-Vice-Chancellor Research, Prof Baldock has responsibility for research, innovation and enterprise. The following department heads report to Prof Baldock:
- Director of Research Services
Dr Simon Kerridge
- Dean of the Graduate School
Professor Diane Houston
- Director of Innovation & Enterprise
Prof Baldock is also the Equality and Diversity champion for marriage and civil partnership, as well as pregnancy and maternity.
Prof Baldock is also Professor of Social Policy and a member of the research staff in the School of Social Policy, Sociology and Social Research.
His principal interests are:
- the demographic ageing of societies and its consequences and implications, particularly for social policy;
- the ways older people are provided with help and care from friends, family, the voluntary sector and the state and the differences between nations in these areas;
- the ways in which people cope with the disabilities of age, particularly the effects on one’s sense of self or identity;
- how industrial societies deal with the fact that many households seek to combine paid work with informal care for children and disabled and older adults;
- patterns of pension provision and the potential for pension reform, particularly in industrial countries.